How Much Braces Cost? What are the Things You Should Know In Getting Teeth Braces? Should I visit a Dentist or Orthodontist to take care of my teeth? Start Orthodontics Today!

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Adult Braces Beenleigh: Do I Need to Worry about Getting Braces?

Adult Braces Beenleigh: Do I need to worry about Getting Braces?
I am getting braces soon and surgery to pull-into-place an adult tooth which is lodged in my gum.?
What is the most important thing that i need to do? What colors for braces would you suggest? Should I have the surgery to pull-into-place my adult tooth? Is there anything that I shouldn't eat? I am turning 16 in Aug. and I don't like to brush my teeth but I do. Haven't had any extensive work (no cavities nothing) and I love the dentist when i do go. Is there anything i do need to worry about with braces?

Answer
Well, your dentist/orthodontist office should tell you what you need to do exactly. BUT, here's a list of things that may be handy. I don't know the extent of the surgery you will have because I can't see the X-ray of "where your tooth is now" vs. "where your dentist plans to put it into place", so I will provide what I know about the combinations of tooth extractions (which should be very similar) with the combinations of getting braces which I have had both of:

After the first 2 days of surgery:

  • Follow what your dentist says for bleeding or pain. Such as gauze, ice packs, if needed. Like I said, I don't know how far your teeth are getting moved or the extent of the damage/shock caused.
  • If you feel pain, use Aspirin or Ibuprofen (whichever is OK for you and your condition, for example no allergies, no pre-determined bad reactions in your system, you don't drink more than 3 drinks per day, etc. USE COMMON SENSE AND READ THE PAIN KILLER LABEL!!!)
  • Do NOT smoke for 12 hours.
  • Do NOT use a straw for about a week.
  • Do NOT brush your teeth or swish ANY liquid in your mouth for the first 2 days whether it be swishing with water, mouthwash, anything really. I know this sounds gross, but not doing these for a couple days won't kill you!! In fact, do not swish with ANYTHING for 7 days.
  • After 48 hours, you may brush your teeth, but be especially careful to be gentle around the extraction site.
  • After 48 hours, you should wash your mouth with salt water. By that, I mean to put approximately one teaspoon of salt to eight ounces (1 cup) of warm water. Do not swish, but put some of the water in your mouth, touching the surgery site, then open your mouth slightly and let it run out. Repeat until the water is gone.
  • After the surgery, eat only soft foods for about 2-5 days (depending on your comform level, for example if it causes you discomfort when eating a certain thing, stop eating it!!) and avoid chewing or getting food around the extraction site.

After getting your braces on:

  • Eat only soft foods for 3-5 days because your teeth and gums may be sore and you may feel pain from chewing.
  • You should use interdental brushes/picks to clean between your teeth after meals (optional, but very good for you)
  • You should floss between your teeth every day at night (mandatory)
  • Brush your teeth at least twice daily. Recommended times are after breakfast and before bedtime. (mandatory)

Please use a fluoride rinse like ACT after you brush your teeth at night before going to bed, every night. Trust me, it works wonders!

Related Answer
I had my braces off on Monday after 2 1/2 years and man the time went quick and it was so worth it. When you first get them on of course it's going to hurt and you will probably have to eat soft things for a week then for about 6 months every-time you get them tightened it will hurt but not as much as getting them on then eventually tightening won't hurt anymore.

I wouldn't recommend the light colours e.g silver, baby pink and blue, light green etc because they fade and look horrible. Dark blue, red, purple, pink and actually light red all look really nice and don't fade and turquoise is a definite favorite for most people. They will change the Colours every-time you go and if you want the colour you've already got just have new ones of that colour as it's quite un hygienic not to get them changed.

Brush your teeth morning and night or if you have food stuck in them and there is no need for these 'special' brushes a normal brush works just the same but do mouth wash. Now food, you want to start of easy so don't eat carrots, chocolate and things you think will break them, I made the mistake of eating chocolate and breaking my brace but after a while you know where to bite so you won't break them, don't eat chewing gum, chewy foods, toffee, apples (cut them up), corn on the cob or just generally hard stuff, and spicy foo is ok but can turn your brace green. Getting your tooth out will hurt but will be worth it, just have pain killers.

I've probably made it sound scarier than it is, don't worry because when you get them off you will feel great about your teeth and the process was so worth it. [source: Yahoo! Answers]

No comments:

Post a Comment